Re: Grub dilemma

2008/10/18 Frank McCormick <debian@videotron.ca>:
> I am running two distributions on my machine...Sid on hda1 and another
> (Ubuntu) on hda3. Grub seems to boot from hda3...as I have to copy Grubs
> menu.lst to hda3 every time Sid's kernel gets updated. (I don't remember
> where I installed Grub..it was a long time ago ).
> I would like to replace Ubuntu on hda3 with something else...but it uses
> Lilo. Would that mess up my Grub installation.
>
> If it does...how tough would it be to re-install Grub, this time in the MBR?

When you install Ubuntu, have it install Grub (that is actually the
default). It will automatically add your other OSes. Specific to
Ubuntu, I have not had any trouble with it's installation of Grub (in
contrast to Debian, Fedora, and others who's Grub installations I
always need to go back and fix).

In any case, reinstalling or fixing grub is not a problem so long as
your machine can boot from a LiveCD.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com