Re: On the fly spell checking in firefox

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 19:58:49 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

>> > Did you check if it is activated?
>> >
>> > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > General > Browsing > Check my
>> > spelling as I type
>>
>> Thanks for the hint. Hmm... It's there, checked & activated.
>
> AFAIK, libxul (the Gecko rendering engine library) uses libhunspell for
> the spell checking. You can check if your libxul finds libhunspell:
>
> $ ldd /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/libxul.so | grep spell
>         libhunspell-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libhunspell-1.2.so.0
>         (0x00007fb746616000)
>
> I have libhunspell-1.2-0 version 1.2.6-1. Do you have upstream
> Openoffice packages installed by any chance? AFAIK, they bring along
> their own version of libhunspell, which can screw things up for
> iceweasel.

No, I don't have Openoffice, and libxul can find libhunspell:

$ ldd /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/libxul.so | grep spell
        libhunspell-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libhunspell-1.2.so.0 (0xb71b3000)

>> > (Spell checking works for me with iceweasel 3.0.3-2 on Sid/amd64.)
>>
>> I'm using 3.0.1-1 on lenny. It works before so the version should not
>> be a problem.
>
> Try to run iceweasel from a xterm with "-safe-mode" to make sure that
> the problem is not caused by a broken add-on. Running from xterm might
> produce a helpful error message.

Yeah, good point. Just tried that, but symptom is the same and no helpful
error messages. Just a Gtk-WARNING of a theme engine not found, which is
what I always get.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/