Re: puseaudio in Debian - is it ready?

H.S. wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>

>> Right up until it doesn't.  And when it doesn't, it's a severe pain to fix.
>
> I noticed that in FC9, the sound was working quite smoothly even when
> the processor was quite busy (updating and installing stuff using yum).
> This was a surprise to me. With as busy processor in Debian, I usually
> get some sort an interruption in the sound. That prompted me to try out
> pulseaudio in Debian too. Soon discovered it is pretty cumbersome to
> install though.

i'm dealing with this issue now.  i REALLY want to have my system set up
  so that multiple sound streams can play.  currently my base ALSA setup
doesn't allow that and it's annoying to have to kill one program to hear
another's sound.  now that i have some more time i am planning on
getting serious about finding a good solution.

keep in mind that i wasn't concerned about sound initially so i was
lumbering under the idea that Pulseaudio would be my saving grace...
which has not happened.

so how do i setup my system to play multiple streams with ALSA?  i'm
sure it is being done by someone, but i couldn't find a simple guide to
do so before i started this Pulseaudio adventure.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/