Re: old dos and win3.1 games on Debian Etch amd64

Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2008-10-15 05:37 +0200, Rich Healey wrote:
>
>> Paul Johnson wrote:

>>> At this point, I still think it's too early to run a 64-bit environment
>>> unless you actually have programs that require 64-bit support.  Too much
>>> stuff still only supports a 32-bit environment.  You're shooting
>>> yourself in the foot if you're running 64-bit on a desktop with no
>>> explicit need.
>>>
>> I'd disagree. 32bit + 64bit kernel is always a good idea,
>
> There's one exception to this rule, namely if you want to run old DOS
> software.  The reason is that the AMD64 architecture does not provide
> virtual 8086 mode in its 32-bit emulation, so you must use some kind of
> processor emulation (DOSEMU generally provides that, but the Debian
> package in Etch may not).
>
> However, 16-bit protected mode is still supported, so it should be
> possible to run Windows 3.x programs under wine.  If I were Douglas, I'd
> definitely go for that first.
>
> Sven

I can't answer positively, but hardware emulation _OF_SOME_DESCRIPTION_
is definately possible running a 64 bit kernel, I ran lenny amd64 on my
MacbookPro and ran a hardware accellerated VirtualBox VM running 32 bit
Vista. I don't know how this maps accross to Doug's situation, my
thoughts would be that the added instruction set just goes unused
because the old application doesn't acknowledge it's existence?

Apologies if i'm being dense.

Rich

- --
Rich Healey - iTReign      \    .''`.   /         healey.rich@gmail.com