Re: old dos and win3.1 games on Debian Etch amd64

On 2008-10-15 05:37 +0200, Rich Healey wrote:

> Paul Johnson wrote:
>> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

>>> Not in amd64.
>>>
>> At this point, I still think it's too early to run a 64-bit environment
>> unless you actually have programs that require 64-bit support.  Too much
>> stuff still only supports a 32-bit environment.  You're shooting
>> yourself in the foot if you're running 64-bit on a desktop with no
>> explicit need.
>>
> I'd disagree. 32bit + 64bit kernel is always a good idea,

There's one exception to this rule, namely if you want to run old DOS
software.  The reason is that the AMD64 architecture does not provide
virtual 8086 mode in its 32-bit emulation, so you must use some kind of
processor emulation (DOSEMU generally provides that, but the Debian
package in Etch may not).

However, 16-bit protected mode is still supported, so it should be
possible to run Windows 3.x programs under wine.  If I were Douglas, I'd
definitely go for that first.

Sven