Re:[OT] Old Boxen [WAS] old dos and win3.1 games on Debian Etch amd64

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 02:37:11PM +1100, Rich Healey wrote:
>> Paul Johnson wrote:

>>> At this point, I still think it's too early to run a 64-bit environment
>>> unless you actually have programs that require 64-bit support.  Too much
>>> stuff still only supports a 32-bit environment.  You're shooting
>>> yourself in the foot if you're running 64-bit on a desktop with no
>>> explicit need.
>>>
>> I'd disagree. 32bit + 64bit kernel is always a good idea, and 64 bit
>> userlands are fine. The exception is if you have to use binary blobs,
>> and even then kludgy wrappers do exist.
>>
>> I run a 64 bit userland on a PPC machine (this _IS_ a bad idea, but I
>> need the speed..)
>
> Have you run qemu on that PPC to run x86 dos?  I remember drooling over
> an RS/6000 7025-H50 but I couldn't get Sarge to boot on it.  That was
> before I knew what I know now and perhaps it could have worked.  It
> probably would have been too high a MHz too, but that's another issue on
> the back burner for now.  I just want to relax with some games.
>
>> @Doug,
>> I do love old machines, let us know how you go. I have some disks that
>> you're welcome to, perhaps we can work something out with shipping? If
>> you have some old kit lying around, perhaps we could trade?
>
> I don't have any old kit that I'm not either using or plan to use
> (remember my low-MHz thread?).  Now that I've moved, I want to get my
> Tyan dual-P-133 box set up (that was generously donated by a fellow DU
> lurker); all it needs is a new RTC and at least that is in a socket and
> still available.
>
> The only thing I've had fail on good old computers are the hard drives
> and CPU fans (on my P-II, need to fix that).  There are good threads on
> using CF cards on the OpenBSD-misc list since many of those types use
> OBSD on CF cards on small boxes to make net appliances.  CF cards look
> just like an IDE disk to the IDE controller and BIOS; just have to watch
> that you don't hit swap too often...
>
> I need to get more memory for both boxes but its not too expensive and
> is still available from a couple of on-line Canadian sites.
>
> Doug.

I do remember that slow box thread, sadly my laptop had beer spilt upon
it and mangled it pretty good.

It's now being readied for mounting in my valiant.

- --
Rich Healey - iTReign      \    .''`.   /         healey.rich@gmail.com
Developer / Systems Admin   \  : :' :  /        healey.rich@itreign.com
AIM: richohealey33           \ `. `'  /             richo@psych0tik.net