Re: Home directories: local(fast) x remote(secure, available)

Hello Carlos,

Am 2008-10-10 10:55:22, schrieb Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe:
> Hi, Mr Konzack,

Mrs. ;-)

> Thank you very much for your time and guidance.
>
> In fact, our cabling is in poor condition, right now, so we're budgeting
> to replace all of it soon, with a new CAT6 harness. I'll arrange to replace
> also the switches - that will allow us to move to GB ethernet in the workstations
> at the end of current leasing period (next year).
>
> However, our uplink to the the server room is a single 1GB fiber link.
> Actually, there are two links, but that's only for redundancy, it's not trunking.
> There are about 20 users, 10 of which are tipical windows office users -
> mostly local data and processing, network only for web, e-mail and printing.
> The remaining users are doing debian etch, including remote home and a lot of
> ssh -XC sessions. Do you think that only one link will be enough?

Normaly it should do...

I have a 3Com SuperStack with 4 GBit and 24 10/100MBit  links  where  my
two FileServers and the two Multimedia/Devel Stations are  connected  to
the GBit links and the rest of the network to the 10/100MBit links.

Since ALL workstations mount /home over NFSv4 I had no problems  in  the
last 4 years using even NFSv3 while v4 was broken.

If you can not upgrade the WHOLE network at once,  I  suggest  to  check
(and maybe upgrade) at least the Server->Switch FiberOptic cable.  I had
found at customers several times old and porous FiberOptic cables.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)