Re: kernel config q

Dave Ewart wrote:
On Monday, 13.10.2008 at 09:46 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

I am under the impression that for a kernel function, like a driver,
to  be present and function correctly one has to mark it either 'Y' or
'M'  in the kernel .config.

But that the combination of 'Y's and 'M's is immaterial as to the
functioning of the driver.

Am I correct?

Broadly-speaking, that's correct.  Compiled-in modules and stand-alone
modules should behave similarly, but ...

This in regard to trying to get smartctl to work with my external USB
ATA drive. Which works OK with the debian kernel but not in my own
compiled one.

... I've sometimes found that for ad-hoc devices which you attach during
use (such as USB-stuff), using a kernel module seems to behave better.
Not sure why.

Why are you compiling your own kernel, if the Debian kernel works?

It works regarding smartctl but *not* using vga=<x> or uvesafb, which is a severe problem compared to using smartctl.

Hugo