Re: kernel config q

On Monday, 13.10.2008 at 09:46 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I am under the impression that for a kernel function, like a driver,
> to  be present and function correctly one has to mark it either 'Y' or
> 'M'  in the kernel .config.
>
> But that the combination of 'Y's and 'M's is immaterial as to the
> functioning of the driver.
>
> Am I correct?

Broadly-speaking, that's correct.  Compiled-in modules and stand-alone
modules should behave similarly, but ...

> This in regard to trying to get smartctl to work with my external USB
> ATA drive. Which works OK with the debian kernel but not in my own
> compiled one.

... I've sometimes found that for ad-hoc devices which you attach during
use (such as USB-stuff), using a kernel module seems to behave better.
Not sure why.

Why are you compiling your own kernel, if the Debian kernel works?

Dave.

--
Dave Ewart
davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk