Re: Wireless issues -- Lenovo R61 ThinkPad -- succeeded to connect on boot-up ...

wlan0 up" to the /etc/network/interfaces file, as recommended by the
wiki (http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi).  So, now the relevant part of the
interfaces file reads as follows:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
pre-up ip link set wlan0 up
wireless-essid (actual essid deleted for security reasons)
wireless-key (actual WEP key deleted for security reasons)

So, now I am able to have the wireless connection activated on boot up.

I had in fact found that wiki when I was trying to get the R61 to accept
the existence of the wireless card.  It was from this source that I
discovered the need for the relevant firmware; whereupon I installed the
package firmware-iwlwifi.

I did not understand the possibility that the card could
accept the essid but would not necessarily associate it with an access
point -- until Florian told me about the possible need to "pre-load" the
card before it will accept the access point and to read the wiki to
learn how to "pre-load" it.  Thank you Florian for your patience with me.

Ken Heard

Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)