Re: any .WMV to .FLV converters, now a bit OT

Mark Allums:
> Siju George wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>>> Siju George:

>>> ffmpeg -i foo.wmv -vcodec flv foo.flv
>>>
>>> You probably have to install ffmpeg from debian-multimedia.org.
>>
>> Thanks a million jochen :-)
>
> This works.  I'm sure I don't need to point out that if you have access
> to a source file, it is far preferable to use it.

Strong ACK.

> Recapturing the video
> would be nice.  Stating the obvious, I know.  I expect you are looking
> for a less "encumbered" format?  Actually, I don't worry too much about
> the video, but if there is audio, and you care about the audio,
> resampling sucks.

-acodec copy should help. Ffmpeg is usually good about a/v sync.

> Some codecs don't sync audio very well, so watch for that.  I don't
> think forcing the video will touch audio, so it may not quite seem right
> after the conversion.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I think ffmpeg by default uses a fixed set of options and codecs so it
will most probably make quality of audio and video worse. What I posted
was the absolute minimum to accomplish what the OP wanted. Usually,
you'll want to at least set the video size, audio codec and both
bitrates (or other means to control quality).

> Allegedly,
> ffmpeg is smart enough to match audio to frame rate, but I would
> recommend doing some documentation searching, starting
> with $man ffmepeg.  Someone tell me, will -pass 2 help at all?

Only for the video, I think. I usually use -crf which is one-pass-only.

J.
--
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree]   [Disagree]