Re: any .WMV to .FLV converters, now a bit OT

Siju George wrote:
On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
Siju George:
Is there any Converter that can convert from .WMV format to .FLV
format for debian?
ffmpeg -i foo.wmv -vcodec flv foo.flv

You probably have to install ffmpeg from debian-multimedia.org.

Thanks a million jochen :-)

--Siju

This works. I'm sure I don't need to point out that if you have access to a source file, it is far preferable to use it. Recapturing the video would be nice. Stating the obvious, I know. I expect you are looking for a less "encumbered" format? Actually, I don't worry too much about the video, but if there is audio, and you care about the audio, resampling sucks.

Some codecs don't sync audio very well, so watch for that. I don't think forcing the video will touch audio, so it may not quite seem right after the conversion. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Allegedly, ffmpeg is smart enough to match audio to frame rate, but I would recommend doing some documentation searching, starting
with $man ffmepeg.  Someone tell me, will -pass 2 help at all?

The ever unhelpful,

Mark Allums