Upgrading after a fresh install.

I've just completed a fresh install of Lenny.  I am trying to understand
why some update are not showing in aptitude.

The normal aptitude update/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade shows none.

Update manager has stuck the notification in the tray telling me of 2.
If I look for them with with synaptic, or apt-get they are visible.  If
I open the update manager it also shows no updates available.  However,
it seems I can install the 2 updates by right clicking the notification
in the tray. (this was news to me)

Being that is a fresh install I would like to dedicate package
management to aptitude this go around.

Am I simply overlooking something obvious?

fwiw the two packages are esound-clients and perl-doc