Re: recompiling the debian kernel..getting wierd messege.

On 10/08/08 17:11, Michael Habashy wrote:

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>> wrote:

    On 10/08/08 16:23, Michael Habashy wrote:

        On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Ron Johnson
        <ron.l.johnson@cox.net <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
        <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>>>
        wrote:

           On 10/08/08 15:11, Michael Habashy wrote:

               On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Andrei Popescu
               <andreimpopescu@gmail.com
        <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
        <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>

        <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>>> wrote:

                  On Wed,08.Oct.08, 15:16:41, Michael Habashy wrote:
                   > Newbie quetion here - I just tried following the
        tutorial
               on how
                  to compile
               http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

                   > It worked great - till i had to initialize with the new
                  kernel...I keep
                   > getting these messeges:
                   >

                   > Waiting 16 seconds for /*sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev* to
        show up.
                  /bin/cat:
                   > /*sys/block/
                   > sdb/sdb1/dev*: *No such file or directory*. *Device* /*
                   > sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev
                   >

                   > does anyone have an idea ???

                  What .config did you use? If you just made small
               modifications it would
                  be nice to write which ones (you can use diff).

                  Regards,
                  Andrei
                  --
                  If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand
        it well

               How can i do this ???
               i over written the .config file that was there with the
        one that
               is provided by the 2.6.18.6 <http://2.6.18.6>
        <http://2.6.18.6> <http://2.6.18.6>

               kernel by default.  i just did minor modifications like
        add sata
               driver support because it was not enabled.

           The kernel has changed quite a lot since .18.

           If you want to use the existing 2.6.18 .config file (which *is*
           reasonable!), you need to run
           $ make clean
           $ make oldconfig

           This takes and updates the .config file with all the stuff that's
           been added since 2.6.18, while prompting you to choose what "new
           stuff" you want added to your kernel.

        thanks - will try this - but the tutorial says to remove the line

        # CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

        out of the config file -- is this necessary ??????

    There *is* such a line in my /usr/src/linux/.config, but there is no
    corresponding /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/.config.

    So, I have no definitive answer to your question.

I am sorry - if you follow this tutorial --- http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

you will see it .

I was referring to the config file located in /boot/config .....

But it gets copied to /usr/src/linux/, and that's the file that "make" uses to build the kernel.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson