Re: How do I prevent Grub from getting automagically updated?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/08/08 00:28, Aniruddha wrote:
On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:15 -0400, David Sanders wrote:
On Tuesday 07 October 2008 05:09:28 pm Aniruddha wrote:
Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
this?

--
Regards,

Aniruddha
Better to edit menu.lst and put the correct hard drive in the # groot= line.

I tried that once, it didn't seem to work. Anyhow I prefer to be in
control of my grub.conf. Manually adding boot entries works best for me.
Is it all possible to turn this feature off?

Do you use raw device names or labels/UUIDs?

That's something I changed legacy grub for. There is no way to substitute

root          (hd0,0)

for example, with a label/UUID.

I changed that so that you can say:

find            /wd80_0jd-60.05
root            FILE=/wd80_0jd-60.05

So now you are totally label oriented: grub uses as root the partition where file wd80_0jd-60.05 is located.

The down side is you can only boot when the labels + label files are in place. E.g. doing mondo restores.

Hugo