Re: Lenny: 30 secs boot delay udev????

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/07/08 06:08, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
Hi,

When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which
 > nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and
 > during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor
 > activity.

The processes that are running during those 30 secs are init
s05ude
udevadm udevd
kthreadd
khelper
kpsmouses
iwl3945* (3 things)

Maybe it's trying to detect a non-existant wireless network? Or find some other bit of non-existent h/w?

I'd look in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something
about it to shorten my startup time?

It sure doesn't happen on my system!

I use a 10 second delay on my system to enable recognition of the USB drives, which takes 10 seconds.

In older initramfs-tools packages (Sid) I had to put the wait in myself. If I did not there would be a kernel panic because the root filesystem wasn't around. Recently I noticed that initramfs is very good and waits for the recognition to occur. During the wait there is no visible activity.

But looking at initramfs and understanding it is no easy task...

Hugo