Re: How to apt-get over ssh tunnel through a firewall?

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 18:01:55 -0400
Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On 14:38 Fri 03 Oct     , Celejar wrote:
> > On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 12:02:22 -0400
> >
> > There are several apt proxies available:
> >
> > apt-cacher
> > apt-cacher-ng
> > apt-proxy
> > approx
> >
> > [I use approx; various readers of this list have their own preferences.]
> >
> > Set up one of them on A, configure B-D's sources file appropriately,
> > and your ssh procedure should work.
>
> thank you. I am familiar with apt-cacher, but  not with approx which I can
> try.
>
> However, I think that does not solve my problem. For instance
> what if the A computer is running etch and B-D are running sid?
> How can I get B-D to get software that has not been installed on A?

I'm pretty sure that it makes no difference what flavor A is running -
I assume that A need not even run Debian!  The apt sources lists of B-D
will contain (with approx - I assume you can do similarly with the
others) references to the flavor desired, and A will fetch any packages
that are needed.  My sources contain (on the machine that runs approx):

deb http://localhost:9999/debian/       sid main non-free contrib
deb http://localhost:9999/debian-multimedia     sid main

> Is there some smart way to set up a direct tunnel through A
> and tell  apt-get to go through the tunnel itself, instead of using
> these caching methods which better serve other purposes.
> (For instance since B-D run sid, I can cache on one of them for the others.
>
> what software-backbone/port is apt-get using to get the software?

apt can use an http proxy; see 'man apt.conf' for details.  So you
could set up one on A and configure B-D to tunnel in to it over ssh,
but I think that you are misunderestimating the flexibility of the
dedicated apt caching programs, as above.

> Mitchell

Celejar