Re: anyone installed nvidia drivers on etch recently?

Jack Schneider on 04/10/08 03:46, wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:21:18 +0100
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

I'm using "nv", so I thought I'd try the proprietary nvidia driver.

Following any of the methods on
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers just leads me down the
same path to the point where I find "nvidia.ko failed to build" in
the logs.

I'm using the stock kernel 2.6.26-bpo.1-686 from apt, and trying to
get the nvidia-glx-legacy nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6-686 packages from non-free to install, but
using the instruction:

m-a auto-install nvidia

leads to the error "nvidia.ko failed build", as I mentioned above.

Take a look at this link:

-- http://tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html

I followed those instructions to the letter with no success. It was good in that it was definitive about whether I should be using legacy or not, however the only other main difference from the wiki article was the m-a command:

m-a a-i -i -t -f nvidia-kernel-source

which made no difference to the end result of the nvidia.ko build.

I think it's something to do with v 2.6.26-bpo.1-686

Is that the kernel version you're running too?

Regards
Adam