Re: updatedb for very large filesystems

On 2008-10-01 13:15 +0200, Mag Gam wrote:

> I was wondering if its possible to run updatedb on a very large
> filesystem (6 TB). Has anyone done this before?

I don't have such luxurious filesystems, but it should certainly be
possible.  It's just a matter of time (the number of files is what
really counts, not the size of the filesystem).

> I plan on running this
> on a weekly basis, but I was wondering if updatedb was faster than a
> simple 'find'. Are there any optimizations in 'updatedb' ?

The implementation of updatedb mlocate package has an important
optimization, it reuses old entries for directories whose mtime didn't
change since the last run.  So the second and subsequent runs should be
considerably faster than the first.  Note, however, that mlocate is not
available in Etch.

The findutils version may be too slow to be run on a weekly basis on
systems with many millions of files.

Sven