USB Mouse

I have a logitec USB/PS2 optical mouse, the el cheapo.

I had been using it with the ps2 adapter until I booted up and BIOS kicked about the keyboard. Taking out that connector enabled me to boot. So I plugged the mouse into the USB and it simply worked. Hats off.

Next time I booted up, it did not work. Unplugging and replugging it and voile.

Next time I booted up, it did not work and reconnecting also did not work. I get the disconnect notification notice identifying the mouse, etc. I do not get the connect notice like I did the last time.

So … how do I get this to work reliably?