Re: unable to play some flash videos

On Thursday 25 September 2008 18:38, Stackpole, Chris wrote:

> Same error message from that site. I am running Debian Lenny (fully
> updated) with the actual flash plugin from Adobe's site installed
> through iceweasle. Heh, it's kinda funny that they don't seem to notice
> their own plugin...
>
> Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
> online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters episodes
> on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get them to
> work right.
>
> As for suggestions...What about building a MythTV box to capture the
> episodes as they air? That is what I do. And should the recording fail
> for some reason (#*&!%^ Charter!) there is a famous bay for torrents
> that does a really good job. ;-)
>
> Have fun!

A while back I had problems listening to online music from a website in
Jersey, CI. I could access the website ok, but the music wouldn't stream. I
can't remember if it was my Archlinux install, or a Debian one, but both
install Firefox, but under a different name, and it appears that some badly
constructed websites do not recognise Firefox, if it's identified under a
different name. Iceweasel in Debian, and Minefield for firefox 3.0 in
Archlinux.

On both Lenny, and Archlinux I also installed Firefox (from the Mozilla site)
in /usr/local, to see whether they had problems with the same sites as the
versions of Firefox installed on Debian, and Archlinux did . In the case of
the Jersey site for Internet radio, this now streamed ok with Firefox from
the Mozilla site, and I now  see that Firefox 2, then named Bon Echo on
Archlinux was the one that wouldn't stream the radio, but no problems in
accessing the site. See http://www.channel103.com.

Type about:config in Iceweasels address bar, scroll down to:
general.useragent.extra.firefox

On Lenny this shows as:

general.useragent.extra.firefox     default   string   Iceweasel/3.0.1

Double click on the line, and in the box that opens, replace Iceweasel/3.0.1
with Firefox. (write down the original entry on a bit of paper, just in case)

Then try the problem site again.

There does not appear to be a problem with just changing the name to Firefox,
whether that is for Firefox2, or 3 which you have installed.

I know this fixed my problem, and maybe it will for you.

Only being on dialup, streaming video is out of the question, so I can't try
the site you're having problems with.

2¢ worthof perhaps nothing.

Nigel.