RE: unable to play some flash videos

> From: Carl Fink [mailto:carlf@panix.com]
> Subject: Re: unable to play some flash videos
>
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:38:06AM -0500, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I have not had much luck with tv websites that stream their
> > online content. Everything pretty much sucks. From Mythbusters
episodes
> > on Discovery's website to that Hulu website. I can't seem to get
them to
> > work right.
>
> Hulu works perfectly for me, with Firefox and either the free clone or
> official Flash players.  Two different Lenny systems.
> --
> Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!

OK well before this gets too OT...

When I go to Hulu and click any video, I get taken to a page and
everything looks OK but when I click play, the video goes to white and
nothing happens. I tried a number of shows with the same response. I was
actually composing an email detailing what I had done to replicate it
when I thought I should test on a second computer. Another Debian Lenny
(fully updated) with Adobe flash plugin. Same thing. I thought I might
really have an issue until it occurred to me that the machines I tested
were dev boxes all running 64bit (because we are planning on rolling out
new 64bit hardware when Lenny is released). So I booted up my virtual
machine with an old, not-updated-in-months, Debian Etch 32bit system. I
grabbed a newer version of Iceweasel and the flash plugins and tada! It
worked! Well as best as can be expected from a VM (little choppy and
sound was a mess). It looks like there have been quite a few
improvements because I didn't have a 64bit system the last time I tried
Hulu (some months ago and also there is a lot more content now too!).
Anyone using 64bit Debian have Hulu working?

Also...I changed the Iceweasel user agent string to Firefox and
refreshed NBC's website. Same as those before me, I just got the peacock
but nothing else.

So in summary:
NBC's website doesn't appear play well with Linux.

Hulu looks like it might be an alternative to OP's problem (
http://www.hulu.com/search/Heroes?company=nbc&type=episode ). However,
64bit seems to have problems (for me at least).

Have fun!