Re: how to add unsupported video and network driver to a fresh debian install

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:32:40 -0400, Michael Habashy wrote:
> How to add unsupported video and network driver to a fresh debian install  ??
> i just purchased a gateway dx4200 with a ati radeon HD3450 video card
> and a marvell yukon network driver.
> How can i add these during the isntall process.

You can add additional files (e.g. firmware) to an install image if
necessary. During install you can switch to another terminal, e.g.
ALT-F2 and copy/install/whatever these additional files.

Your case sounds like you need a newer kernel, so try etch+0.5, Kenshi
Muto's installer images, or a Lenny installer. (You did not tell us
which version of Debian you tried, so I assume it was Etch with kernel
2.6.18.)

> If just choose generic stuff during the install ...I get a system that
> boots up but presents a blank screen.
> i can not input or do anything at all to the system.

What does "boots up but presents a blank screen" mean? Do you see output
before the system switches to X or not at all? Can you type your login
name and password "blind" and issue the "shutdown -h now" command? (It
would be good to know if it is only the display that is not working or
if the box has locked up completely.)

          Florian   |