The Lilo/initrd.img Problem Has Recurred

Last month when lilo could not boot a stock 2.6.26-1-amd64 debian system
it was pointed out to me that the initrd.img was too big and that the
solution was to edit /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and change
MODULES=most to MODULES=dep.  This indeed reduced the size of the
initrd.img from about 9000000 to 5008590 and all was well until the most
recent update of update-initramfs.  Now even with MODULES=dep
update-initramfs generates a 7787042 initrd.img and again lilo cannot
boot the system.

Fortunately I have saved a 2.6.24-1-amd64 kernel image and its
initrd.img which is just 4943450 so my system is still bootable.

Tom George