Re: cedilla on a us_intl keyboard

Strange. I thought the us_intl keyboard had been removed from
Debian years ago. Nowadays you use the us keyboard with the
alt-intl /keyboard variant/.

It seems that many Debian users (including members of this list)
are not aware of the glorious Unix "Compose Key". You press
Compose, and then some other characters, and magically a character
is produced which is a kind of "graphical combination" of those
characters. So a c-cedilla (ç) is made by Compose, comma, c. A
German "double s" (ß) by means of Compose, s, s. A British pound
(currency) sign (₤) by Compose, L, =.

Etcetera, etcetera; hundreds of such combinations are pre-defined,
and you can also define your own.

Now where is the Compose key? I /think/ the Debian default is: the
right "windows" key is Compose (but I am not sure; it's been ages
since I set up a Debian system from scratch). In any case the
position of the Compose key can be specified through the GUI on
Gnome/Ubuntu and KDE. If you have no Compose key defined, you can
also set it by specifying in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, in the
keyboard section:

 Option   "XkbOptions"  "compose:rwin"

See also

http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html#T6.1