Modem Net Access.

Greetings all.

I feel that I'm missing something really obvious.

I'm getting a connection, through a dial-up modem that is working.
I know this, not just from modem lcd readouts, but because I'm
sending this from the same computer with the same
modem/connection/ISP, the only difference being that I have taken out
the mobile rack with Etch AMD64 on it and put in another with MS XP.
Email and browser both work.

Etch connects just as efficiently through 'pon' in a root terminal,
but konqueror, galeon, sylpheed-claws-gtk2 and icedove all fail in
the access factor "No connection".
Account config with all of them are correct.
On etch, I removed the firewall completely.
Same result-no access.

So it's a config problem somewhere?
All permissions seem to be valid.

Any clues?