Re: Wireless issues -- Lenovo R61 ThinkPad

On Saturday 20 September 2008 08:58:27 am Ken Heard wrote:
> This laptop has Lenny installed.  It has a built in IBM 3945 wireless
> card.  Once I installed the firmware-iwlwifi package the laptop
> recognized this card and allowed me to configure it.  While I usually
> use a RJ-45 cable connection to connect to networks, I am presently
> temporarily located where a wireless connection is more convenient.

<snip settings & explanations>

> These are the same settings I have been using all week, and now they
> don't work.  I would certainly like to know why, and what to do -- not
> only to get the connection working again, but also to be able to
> activate it on boot up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Heard

I don't have a solution to the problem (which is that KDE's network manager
has trouble with WEP keys), but I can offer my own workaround, with which I
have had no problems so far:
iwconfig wlan0 essid $wap_essid enc $wep_passkey; dhclient

Replace (I hope obviously) the $ words with the actual values used. Basically,
iwconfig handles WEP very well, whereas KNetworkManager is much better at
handling WPA/2. At least in my experience.

I am, fwiw, using the same card as you are. Hope this helps.

Lee

--
Lee Glidewell           | PGP key: D5D686A7
lee.glidewell@gmail.com |