Re: Wireless issues -- Lenovo R61 ThinkPad

On Saturday 20 September 2008 17:58:27 Ken Heard wrote:
> This laptop has Lenny installed.  It has a built in IBM 3945 wireless
> card.  Once I installed the firmware-iwlwifi package the laptop
> recognized this card and allowed me to configure it.  While I usually
> use a RJ-45 cable connection to connect to networks, I am presently
> temporarily located where a wireless connection is more convenient.
>
> By using KDE's "Network Settings" page, accessible from the KDE control
> panel under "Internet & Network", I was at first able to make this
> connection in automatic DHCP mode by entering the ESSID and the
> hexadecimal WEP key.  This arrangement however had its problems.  At
> first I selected "Network Settings" to activate this connection on boot
> up, but it did not work.  After switching off this selection I was then
> able to establish the connection manually, but had to re-enter the ESSID
> and the key -- and select "hexadecimal" for the key instead of ascii" --
> several times in "Network Settings" before I finally would get a
> connection.
>
> This arrangement worked for about a week, but now I am no longer able to
> connect no matter what I do.  "Ifconfig wlan0" returns the following:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
>           Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
>           Tx-Power=15 dBm
>           Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
>           Encryption key:4765-6973-6265-7267-7374-7231-37
>           Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
>  Both the ESSID and the Encryption key are correct, but Access Point: is
> "Not Associated".
>
> "Iwlist wlan0 scan" returns, in part the following:
>
> Cell 01 - Address: 00:04:0E:76:FF:46
>                     ESSID:"FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050"
>                     Mode:Master
>                     Channel:6
>                     Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)
>                     Quality=91/100  Signal level=-40 dBm  Noise
> level=-127 dBm
>                     Encryption key:on
>                     Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s
>                               6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s
>                               36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
>                     Extra:tsf=000000950e6329f5
>
> "Ifup wlan" returns "ifup: interface wlan0 already configured".
>
> These are the same settings I have been using all week, and now they
> don't work.  I would certainly like to know why, and what to do -- not
> only to get the connection working again, but also to be able to
> activate it on boot up.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken Heard

I read you use KDE so may I suggest the network-manager-kde package as the
solution to almost all the wireless issues? I used to have serious problems
before discovering it. I have successfully configured Atheros (don't remember
the model number), Broadcom (4318) and Intel (4965 and 3945) wireless cards
with WPA2-PSK and little effort. The only thing you have to pay attention to
is commenting every line in /etc/network/interfaces except for those
regarding the loopback interface.

The only drawback is that you cannot configure a static address but only dhcp.

Regards,

Giuseppe Marinelli