Re: Best methods?

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:49:04 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,20.Sep.08, 08:59:47, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > You can alternatively use aptitude interactive mode.
> >
> > Enter "l" to popup
> >   Enter the new package tree limit:
> >
> > Then enter "~c"
> >
> > You get interactive session to deal with these packages so you are less
> > likely to overdo this removal.
>
> True, but is there a way in interactive mode to quickly mark 194
> packages for some action?

If you press a certain action key on a category headline then the action
is applied to all packages listed thereunder. In the present example,
after using "l" and "~c" you can move the cursor to the "Not Installed
Packages" headline and schedule them all for purging with "_". Then you
can review the list and sort out anything that still needs sorting out
before using "g" to make aptitude perform the scheduled actions.

As far as I can tell, the interactive sequence:

press "l" > enter $PATTERN > move cursor to appropriate headline and
press key for $ACTION > press "g"

is equivalent to the command line:

aptitude $ACTION $PATTERN

What I like about the interactive approach is that I have a better
overview of what is happening with a direct way to fix problems and
review different solutions for conflicts (as has been pointed out
already by Osamu). Furthermore, I usually find it easier to use a
sequence of different limits and actions than to come up with the
corresponding all-in-one pattern, which could be something convoluted
like: ($PATTERN1 and $PATTERN2 and not ($PATTERN3 or $PATTERN4)) or
$PATTERN5 and not $PATTERN6.

          Florian   |