Re: Best methods?

On 2008-09-18 22:18 +0200, Jack Schneider wrote:

> Just noticed that the results of doing [dpkg --get-selections >
> Packages]  gives me a list which includes-- 194 packages marked for
> "deinstall'.  What's the best tool to clean this up, and how to do it??

If you want to purge all of them, do the following:

# aptitude purge $(dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall$ | cut -f1)

If you want to keep the configuration of a few packages, run

$ dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall$ | cut -f1 > purge.list
$ $EDITOR purge.list
[ remove packages whose configuration you want to keep from the list ]
[ become root ]
# aptitude purge $(cat purge.list)
# rm purge.list

No warranties, I have only tested the first (with aptitude -s purge).

Sven