Re: Kernel installation BORKED! -- FIXED

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:13:28PM -0400, imcrystalguard@netscape.net wrote:

> >Please try to put margin limits on your messages.  They're easier to read
> >that way, and you look less like an Outlook user.
>
> Sorry, using webmail because I'm not on my main computer
>
> >If you're NOT using an initramfs, rip out initramfs-tools, then try to
> >remove the foobarred package. do:
>
> Not an option as the whole package management thing is hung up
>
> >~# ls /var/lib/dpkg/info | grep linux-image
>
> >This will show you the files that make dpkg think that package is on the
> >system.  you can remove those, and it's instant amnesia for dpkg on that
> >package.  MAKE SURE you remove the correct ones.  Also, manually clean your
> >system of any files that may have been written to disk during the partial
> >install.
>
> Hmmm. Dpkg and aptitude still knew that it was installed and in a bad way,
> but after removing the files (I went further and did 'rm linux-image-2.6.26.*)
> the system did finish the installation. So, many thanks. You saved me a lot
> of headache.

And what do dpkg and aptitude think now?  It is a rather brutal hack... but
it's in my "Bag 'O Tricks"(tm).  Also, why do you think make-kpkg called
mkinitramfs?  Maybe a switch left on in the kernel .config?

Regards,
Rook

--
And other operators aren't so special syntactically, but weird
in other ways, like "scalar", and "goto".