Kernel installation BORKED!

I am not subscribed to the list, so please CC me! Thanks.

Hmmmmm. I've never had this issue before in all the time I have used Debian, which is since the late 90's. I've custom compiled kernels for years, and yes I now use kernel-package, and never had an installation BORK on me! I was creating the third revision to a custom kernel on a fresh system updated with the latest packages from Unstable last night. Something strange happened, which I don't know what, and now my custom kernel won't install or uninstall. The package system says that it is in 'too unstable of a state' and to reinstall, but it won't reinstall. I keep getting the same message where update-initramfs fails, so everything fails.

Here's the thing, update-initramfs should be running for this kernel. None of my custom kernels are ever build for a initrd.img, so there shouldn't be anything for update-initramfs to do. The other thing is that the kernel DIDN'T install! There is no vmlinuz image, there are no directories under /lib/modules, so there is nothing there and there should be nothing to do! Dpkg and aptitude all choke and die. I'm told the package is there, which it didn't install, and to reinstall, which it won't.

If I could get update-initramfs to not run on the post-removal script, or if I could just get the package management system to forget that this one package is installed....

Here is the full text as dpkg dies:
** do no confuse linux-image-2.6.26 with linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 which is installed mainline kernel **

dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.26_3_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 109928 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.26 2 (using linux-image-2.6.26_3_i386.deb) ...
Done.
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.26 ...
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs
Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26, doesn't exist.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-2.6.26.postrm line 335.
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs
Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26, doesn't exist.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm line 335.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.26_3_i386.deb (--install):
 subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 2
Running postrm hook script /sbin/update-grub.
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs
Cannot delete /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26, doesn't exist.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/update-initramfs exited with return code 1
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm line 335.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
 linux-image-2.6.26_3_i386.deb