Re: Kernel installation BORKED!

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 06:52:56PM -0400, imcrystalguard@netscape.net wrote:

> If I could get update-initramfs to not run on the post-removal script, or
>  if I could just get the package management system to forget that this
>  one package is installed....

Please try to put margin limits on your messages.  They're easier to read
that way, and you look less like an Outlook user.

If you're NOT using an initramfs, rip out initramfs-tools, then try to
remove the foobarred package. do:

~# dpkg -P initramfs-tools

It won't affect your already-installed kernel.

The other way is a bit more involved, but I've done it:

~# ls /var/lib/dpkg/info | grep linux-image

This will show you the files that make dpkg think that package is on the
system.  you can remove those, and it's instant amnesia for dpkg on that
package.  MAKE SURE you remove the correct ones.  Also, manually clean your
system of any files that may have been written to disk during the partial
install.

Regards,
Rook

--
... echo "ICK, NOTHING WORKED!!!  You may have to diddle the includes.";;
		    -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution