Re: dd|tar backup over ssh fails, could someone give me a pointer.

2008/9/12 Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br>:
> Most laptos have a 'recovery feature' that restores the system to its
> preinstalled state from an image in a hidden partition. Maybe that's
> already done for you, check the manual.

I want to use all of my hard disc for Debian to start with. Also it's
my understanding that the recovery feature usually will trash the rest
of the system to put it back to freshly installed wiping my Debian.

> Yes, it is possible. I'd do something like this: use dd to read the
> partition and output it to stdout, pipe that into netcat, which sends to
> the other host. The other host has a listening netcat that passes the
> read output to bzip2 or whatever.

I found instructions for that here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-copy-compressed-drive-image-over-network.html

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.