Re: dd|tar backup over ssh fails, could someone give me a pointer.

For the list, Appologies Daniel,

2008/9/12 Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org>:
>  I don't understand what you're trying to achieve with that tar
> command.  You've told bash to load your entire hard drive into memory,
> then open it as a file-name and pass it on standard input to a tar
> command that will read an empty list of files, form a tar archive from
> them, and pass the archive to standard output (except that tar won't
> create an empty archive by default, so it'll fail with an error).
>
>  I think that what you want to do is "tar cjf / | ssh ...", but I'm
> a little thrown off by your desire to use dd.  Are you trying to load
> a tar archive off a block device?
>
>  Daniel

My brand new laptop with windows preinstalled and the recovery
partitions, I wanted to make a disc exact archive of it so if in the
future I'd like to have a vmware or qemu instance of windows for the
kids or wife I could. After I get a copy of the info I require to
install windows Then I can quite happily blow away the whole drive and
put my Debian on it. I just can't bear to delete software that I have
paid for (First time ever :-)  ).

At least with your description I can understand why it's failing :-)

Is what I want to do possible? I wanted to do the compression on the
new laptop as it's my fastest computer (The other computer that i'm
transferring to is an old celeron 300MHz baby with 2 750G drives as my
NAS).

Adrian
--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.