Re: dd|tar backup over ssh fails, could someone give me a pointer.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is what I want to do possible? I wanted to do the compression on the
> new laptop as it's my fastest computer (The other computer that i'm
> transferring to is an old celeron 300MHz baby with 2 750G drives as my
> NAS).

Hi,
Compression would cause a huge bottleneck in performance if done on
your laptop, since the block size for dd acts like a buffer and the
buffer/block size for gzip or bzip2 is relatively small and can't be
changed.  So, you'd probably get the transfer done faster by
compressing the dd image after you send it over the network.  For best
performance, you could use netcat to pipe this over the network
instead of ssh, but only if otherhost.com is on the local network.

$ dd if=/path/to/block/device bs=64M | ssh otherhost.com dd
if=/path/to/backup.img
$ ssh otherhost.com gzip /path/to/backup.img

Cheers,
--
Elijah
http://elijahr.blogspot.com/