Re: BUSY BOX after boot attempt..

On Wed,10.Sep.08, 21:58:53, Jack Schneider wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:52:30 +0300
> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed,10.Sep.08, 14:24:07, Jack Schneider wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, Andrei for the response.  Checked out #s and yes they have
> > > changed.
> > > So I need some further guidance... "In case of any doubt use
> > > labels." Any pointers to an appropriate "howto"????       Question
> > > 2 What's the impact on FSTAB settings?
>
> Thanks, again.
>
> > Here's a (very quick) howto:
> >
> > * use e2label to create labels for all your partition:
> >
> This is done by mounting the drive somewhere under grml?
> Since I can't boot the OS with the current partition #s.
> Seems tricky..8-(  since I know less of GRML than "lenny"...I however
> can get to a bash term # window. 8-)

You don't need to mount the partition to label it. It's actually safer
not to mount it :D

> > e2label /dev/hdaX root_part
> >
> > (where 'root_part' is the label for the root partition and /dev/hdaX
> > is the device name of the root partition. Use whatever naming scheme
> > you want).
> >
> > * edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the line
> >
> /boot is on a separate partition, which I will have "labeled". Will I
> have a problem mounting /boot under grml??  say with
> ~# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt ?? cd mnt then edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

No, you can still mount devices by name if you want to.

> > # kopt=root=/dev/hda5 ro (other boot options)

> > # kopt=root=LABEL=root_part ro (other boot options)
> >
> > * also edit the stanza that you will boot and replace
> > 'root=/dev/hda5' with 'root=LABEL=root_part'
> >
> > * edit /etc/fstab and change all references to the device (/dev/hda5,
> >   ...) with LABEL={label}
> >
> > * reboot
>
> If it doesn't, then what?

Go through all the steps again and search for typos or so. If you can't
figure it out post the error message back here.

> > * run /usr/sbin/update-grub to regenerate /boot/grub/menu.lst to use
> > the label everywhere.

Don't forget this step.

Regards,
Andrei