Re: Way OT: OpenDNS

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Are there any known problems / gotchas with OpenDNS? I do know that
> they redirect google queries through their own servers and return ads
> in place of unregistered domains, but those 'features' can be turned
> off. Anything else that I should be aware of?

Of course I'm sure you know that DNS has nothing to do with
ping response times or network throughput.

Maybe it's time to get a new ISP. I have 1Mbps/1Mbps ADSL
and it's about 38ms to google, I also have 16Mbps/2Mbps cable
modem and it's about 34ms to google.

If you don't have any other ISP options then perhaps you should
consider moving to a location where there are more options if
internet performance is that important to you. Or perhaps other
options such as T1 lines etc are available at higher prices.

I find it funny that so many people out there seem to expect
to be able to get 10Mbit+ speeds for $20/mo. Then they get
upset when they find out the system is 100x oversubscribed
and ends up being slow as hell. You get what you pay for.
Co-workers at my company are all pissed off because one of
the branch offices is off line because the $40/mo DSL line
has been down for days and the provider doesn't have a
ETA for recovery. You get what you pay for.

At the same time the company spends about $35k/mo on
roughly 800Mbit of internet bandwidth which comes out
to around $43/Mbit(average across 4 ISPs). Which to me
is dirt cheap, I'm used to buying bandwidth in lower
volumes, and at least from Tier 1 ISPs it's easily $95/Mbit,
and easily double that in Europe/Asia in many cases.

I read an article recently estimating costs for Verizon FiOS
to be roughly $4,000 per subscriber just to get them wired
up. Doesn't even take into account ongoing bandwidth costs
associated with those accounts.

If you suspect OpenDNS as a problem you can always setup your
own name server(s) for caching requests. I've never used
OpenDNS myself though some systems at my company use it(not
for much longer). I've run my own name servers for about 12
years now(my authoritative name servers are on my DSL, moving
to co-location this weekend).

nate