Re: partitions

On Wed,  3 Sep 2008 23:08:51 +0000 (UTC)

> Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:16:21 -0500
> From: Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net>
> To: Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net>,
>  Debian user list <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: partitions
>
> Mark Grieveson wrote:
> > Hello.  When debian first installs, it gives the option of
> > separating the home directory (and some other directories) into a
> > separate partition.  I did not choose this option, and instead went
> > for the recommended newbie option of everything in one partition.
> > However, now I think it would be a good idea to separate stuff.  Is
> > there a way to rerun that aspect of the install, or, if not,
> > another way to do this?
>
> I recently split my /home off onto another disc. Perhaps my experience
> can help. [...]

Thanks for this detailed response.  And thanks to others for their
feedback.  At some point in the future, I'm going to give this a try.
I should get a larger, and/or additional hard-drive first, though,
for backups.  In browsing the available list of packages, I saw the
package backup-manager, which looks good for making the required backup
first.

Mark