Re: favor needed by debian beginner

I teach C at the college level using Debian (etch).  Although the
students have gnome and gedit, I actually force them to use vi/nano
and the CLI for much of the work.  My arguement to them is that
different distributions of Linux/UNIX have different apps associated
with them; however all(at least all I have seen) have vi and of
course the standard terminal interface.  As such, as long as they can
use the CLI and vi they are capable of utilizing any such machine.
Larry