Re: Recommend a mua please

On 09/02/08 18:33, Péter András Felvégi wrote:
- store the settings/address book on a server instead of the local
machine (I access my mailboxes from different machines)
That's handled by LDAP.

The address book, yes. What about the settings? The configured
mailboxes, the message filter rules, etc ... It would be best to point
the mua to a single remote config (alpine can store it on an imap
server eg) and I wouldn't bother configuring on each machine I read
mail on.

Interesting.  No, AFAICT, Tbird doesn't do that.

- handles multiple inboxes (I use imaps mainly)
- possibility to set the fcc folder for a given address book entry
What's fcc?

File carbon copy. The name of the folder where the emails go. I find
it useful _not_ having a single inbox and sent folder, rather group
mails by person / organization. With alpine, if the address book is
set up properly, all composed messages go to the right place and
messages saved from the inbox (two keystrokes, compared to
Thunderbird's right-click and dropdown navigation), too.

In my case, that's handled by server-side filtering (an MTA plugin named maildrop, which has a C-like regex filtering language), and Tbird's Copies & Folders dialog box (which lets you specify, per-
account, where Sent & Draft mails should be placed).

- possibility to save the message from the inbox to the desired fcc
with as few keystrokes as possible
- minimal intelligence when I reply to a mail in my 'sent' folder:
don't address it to myself rather to the one I sent the mail
I just tested this with Tbird/Iceweasel on an email From "me", and To
"someone else".  Tbird correctly sends the mail to "someone else".

Then they've fixed this.

- display html mail with pictures, etc
- a spam filter integrated with my address book, so emails from known
addresses won't be marked accidentally

Thunderbird lacks the possibility of remote configs/address books,
can't set the fcc in the address book and thus sorting mail is rather
frustrating, it wants to send mail to myself when I reply to an
already sent message and the last version I used had a bug when
deleting attachments.

Alpine is quite close, has remote config and address book, fcc setting
in the address book, thus easy mail sorting, but I was not yet able to
configure multiple inboxes, html mail is limited to text since it uses
the console and no spam filtering.

Any recommendations?
I really think that Tbird would be your best bet, since Tbird *does* do
LDAP.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that. TB is rather far from what I expect...

Any suggestions on spam filtering?

Spam is tagged by an MTA filter. In fact, most of my mail processing is server-side.

For example, all of my incoming d-u email is automatically placed in the IMAP Lists/Debian/User/2008q3 folder whether I'm logged in or not.

So, with the exception of remote configuration, I seem to be able to do everything you need.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

hook beneath it."  -- Thomas Jefferson