messed-up File Permissions

	I accidentally made all the files on my system owned by
me and am trying to get them back to where they should be.

	Is there any utility that at least gets all the system
files back to proper ownership?

	Most everything was owned by root and changing
everything  back to that except for user files was easy but the
one thing that doesn't work from a user account is su -

	Originally, auth.log reported that unix_ckpwd wasn't
happy and I got that application set back to its correct
permission, but pam_unix still complains. The libraries are set
right, but somewhere is a file with the wrong ownership and no
clue as to what it is.

	The /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files are right.

	Is there either a utility that will complain or fix the
permissions?

	Surely I am not the first person to do something stupid
like this.

	su does work from root to a user ID but not in reverse.

Somewhat embarrassed,

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer