Re: messed-up File Permissions

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 09:46:53PM -0500, Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu> was heard to say:
> 	I accidentally made all the files on my system owned by
> me and am trying to get them back to where they should be.
>
> 	Is there any utility that at least gets all the system
> files back to proper ownership?

  For most of the system, reinstalling from the .debs should work;
e.g., with "aptitude reinstall '~i'".  You'll need to deal with the
parts that dpkg doesn't know about (e.g., much of /etc and /var) by
hand.

  Personally, I suspect it might be easier to just back up your user
data and reinstall the whole system.

  Daniel