Re: pdflatex has problem with searching files

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 20:51:10 +0200, Misko wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:11:44PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Try to run "mktexlsr" as root to update the kpathsea database. If it
> > still does not work after that then you should send us the output of
> > this command:
> >
> > kpsepath tex | sed 's/:/\n/g'
>
> Running mktexlsr as root did not help.
> Following command gives:
>
> $ kpsepath tex | sed 's/:/\n/g'
> ./
> /home/boza/.texinputs/
>
> I guess this is the problem. It includes only two directories.

Yes, there should be much more output, including

!!/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex///

which would allow it to find book.cls. (The "!!" in the beginning means
that kpathsea will not search the directories itself if it cannot find
the requested file in the database; that is the standard setting for all
the large tex dirctories.)

The search paths normally get set up by the tex installation scripts and
the user should not have to worry about them at all. (The installation
scripts should also run mktexlsr whenever necessary.) Do you remember
anything "unusual" happening when you installed texlive, for example
some cryptic warnings or error messages?

> How can I fix it?

Let's first check if you have set any environmental variables that could
influence the search paths. Which output do you get from this command:

env | grep -Ei 'path|tex'

          Florian   |