Problem accessing installation discs

Hi,

I'm running "Etch" 4.0r3 on my Dell Dimension 8100 and have recently encountered a problem with accessing the "Etch" DVDs when trying to install individual packages. When using "apt-get" or "aptitude", there is no response from the computer after I've inserted the relevant disc into drive /cdrom in the usual way. I can get round this by manually mounting the drive, but until now this has never been necessary. I've recently updated my kernel from version 2.6.21.5 to version 2.6.26.1 and wonder whether this might have something to do with the problem. The drive works perfectly in other respects (e.g. with audio or video discs)
Any help will be gratefully received!

TIA

Robin Cosby