Re: chkrootkit infected ports 2881

Adam Hardy wrote:
David Barrett on 13/08/08 20:22, wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
Martin on 12/08/08 16:34, wrote:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
The question is, what do I replace chkrootkit with, especially if stuff like
rkhunter's not much better?
[snip]
One script I use for a similar purpose is "hashall.sh":

#!/bin/sh
find / \( ! -wholename "/sys/*" \) \( ! -wholename "/proc/*" \) -type f -print0 | sort -z | xargs -0 sha1sum > `date | sed -e 'y/ :/__/'`.hashes

Basically, find every file on disk, take sha1sum, and output it in a sorted list. Run this twice and the resulting output is comparable with "diff" to quickly see what has changed.

I currently use this after a new install just to get a snapshot of the base state so I can identify changes. But my plan is to have two servers monitor each other by having each

1) SCP over a "clean" copy of find, sort, xargs, and sha1sum
2) Run this on the whole server
3) Compare the result to a known "clean run"

Granted, a recursive sha1sum isn't cheap, but it can be toned down by tightening up the rules to cut out files you don't care about.

David,

what does \( ! -wholename "/sys/*" \) do? Excludes sys directory?

regards
Adam

Correct.

-david