Re: Fwd: flash in lenny with iceweasel 3

On Aug 13 19:38 +0200, Florian Kulzer  wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 15:33:30 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:07:26 +0200 Steve S wrote:
> >
> > Hello Steve,
> >
> > > a default plugin as there is now (sfwdec-mozilla), as long as I can
> > > purge it w/o also purging Gnome.
> >
> > I suspect you won't actually lose Gnome at all, just the meta-package
> > "Gnome" which, if loaded, would pull in swfdec-mozilla.
>
> It should be safe to remove sfwdec-mozilla and let it take the gnome
> meta-package with it, but one has to make sure that the other
> dependencies of "gnome" are not marked as automatically installed,
> otherwise these "unused" packages might be removed as well.

OK thanks everyone, meta-package is the keyword. I didn't investigate the
gnome package further to see that.

Yes, I checked that only sfwdec-mozilla and the gnome meta-package would be
purged.

Then, I'd be left with a lot of automatically installed packages. Are there any
caveats with that? I think that

    a) If I'd never use `apt-get autoremove`, that should be no problem.
    b) I could `aptitude unmarkauto` them, if I need to.

> It seems that the underlying problem of reliable flash plugin selection
> will now be addressed by shifting it to Debian's alternatives system:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=493307#42

That's good news!

best,
steve