Prevent programs from changing ALSA mixer settings

Running Etch, I've been looking at voice recognition software. I'm finding that both Sphinx2 and CVoiceControl grab the ALSA capture and set it to "Microphone capture". I'm on a ThinkPad Z60m with an Intel HD audio card, and my external mic is actually "Front Mic". As long as I manually change the capture to "Front Mic Capture" after the software is already running, it will work fine. Is there any way to lock the mixer configurations to keep applications from changing them?

Thanks,
Wilson