what does "|" mean in the output of apt-cache depends and rdepends commands?

I have installed Debian 4.0r3 (etch). I am new to Debian (but have quite
a bit of experience using linux). I do not understand the meaning of
the "|" that appears once in a while in the output of the "depends" and
"rdepends" apt-cache commands.

Examples (shortened to save space):
1. presario-laptop:~# apt-cache depends apt
   apt
     Depends: libc6
     Depends: libgcc1
     Depends: libstdc++6
     Depends: debian-archive-keyring
    |Suggests: aptitude
    |Suggests: synaptic
    |Suggests: gnome-apt
     Suggests: wajig
     Suggests: dpkg-dev
     Suggests: apt-doc
     Suggests: bzip2
     Replaces: libapt-pkg-doc
     Replaces: libapt-pkg-dev
   presario-laptop:~#

   What does "|Suggests:" mean (as opposed to just "Suggests:")?
   I have also see "|Recommends:", etc.

2. presario-laptop:~# apt-cache rdepends g++
   g++
   Reverse Depends:
     build-essential
     acovea
     .
     .
     .
     gccxml
     blitz++
     aspectc++
     apt-build
    |kimwitu++
     gobjc++
     anjuta
     .
     .
     .
   presario-laptop:~# exit

   What does "|kimwitu++" mean (as opposed to just "kimwitu++")?

Thanks for help, ideas, suggestions, URLs to docs [but I have looked!], ...

Ray Liere
lierer@agora.rdrop.com