Re: Upgrading necessary, but maybe not

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com>:
>  On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:35:38PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >
> >> The Huawei e169 umts usb modem seems to work fine with Debian
> >> Sid, kernel 2.6.25-2-686 kernel, but not with my Debian Etch,
> >> kernel 2.6.18-4-k7.  Now, in order to have the device working, I
> >> should upgrade my system to Sid or even maybe simply upgrade only
> >> my kernel to 2.6.25-2-686.
>
>  Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:
>
> > Do you know which kernel the module actually came in with? I think
> > etch-n-half has 2.6.24, maybe it's in there saving you from moving all
> > the way up to sid.
>
>  I think I just need the 2.6.25-2-686.  In fact, Ubuntu 8.04 has
>  2.6.24 and the device does not work there (not without a special
>  procedure, not difficult but which I wish to avoid).  But, as I
>  said, recompiling the old kernel would not achive the same result?
>  Why not?

Why would recompiling fix it?  If you could backport the fix and patch
the etch kernel sources, that might be worth looking into (don't
know).  Unless support for this was specifically turned off in the
etch kernel (a la kernel clock ticks, dumbed down to 250 instead of
1000, which breaks rosegarden), recompiling is not the answer;
patching or upgrading is.